Column Treatment Case study No.29｜ILC International Low Back Pain Clinic (Tokyo) Blog
Nov. 16, 2022
Female in her 40s
- The patient first began experiencing pain in her hips and lower legs when she was a teenager.
- She felt pain in September 2022. Usually, the pain disappears within a month, but this time, since it did not go away, she decided to visit our clinic.
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the least and 10 being the greatest pain possible), the pain is 2 in the lower back, 7 in the lower extremities, 8 in the hips, and 7 in numbness.
- She has difficulty walking.
- Washing her face and lifting heavy objects are very difficult. She also has difficulty turning over, standing up, and even squatting or sitting for extended periods of time.
MRI Imaging & Diagnostic
- Herniated discs were observed in L3/4, 4/5, and 5/s.
The Cellgel procedure was performed on L3/4, 4/5, and 5/s.
Dr. Minowa, our clinic director, performed the procedure.
This is after an injection of Discogel into the intervertebral disc.
L3/4 proved to be a good candidate as Discogel thoroughly penetrated into the posterior portion of the disc.
The treatment itself took about 25 minutes.
After the treatment, the patient recuperated in the recovery room and was able to walk home.
Treatments at our Clinic
Here is some additional information about the Cellgel method we have just introduced in this article:
The cost of the Cellgel method: From 1,420,000 yen for a single treatment site (including tax) to 1,860,000 yen for treatment on 5 sites (tax included)
Cost in the case of this patient: 3 areas treated by the Cellgel treatment = 1,640,000 yen (tax included)
Risks and side effects of the Cellgel method: Transient pain may occur after the treatment. Nerve damage is a not a zero-possibility due to the intrinsic nature of the treatment, but no damage in either case reports or in publications have been reported so far. There is a very small possibility of allergic reactions to local anesthetics. Symptoms may temporarily worsen during the first week or two after treatment. This is believed to be due to the decompression effect of the implant, which cause the surrounding tissues to retract. Also, treatment may not be possible if the disc is almost completely worn out. The doctor will consult with you during your visit to determine the best course of action for your condition.
Please refer to the following links for more information on the Cellgel method.