Column Treatment Case Study – #16 | International Lumbago Clinic Tokyo Blog
Female in her 60s
- Hospitalized for a month 30 years ago due to a herniated disc.
- In June of this year, she developed pain and numbness from her lower back to her lower extremities.
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being minimum and 10 being maximum), the pain is at 7 in the lower back, 9 in the lower limbs, 9 in the hips, and 9 for numbness.
- Walkable distance varies from day to day.
- Standing up and washing face, squatting or sitting for prolonged periods, and lifting heavy objects are very difficult. She also has difficulty even turning over in bed.
MRI Imaging & Diagnostic
- A herniated disc was observed in L4/5.
- Intervertebral disc degeneration was observed in L1/2, 2/3, 3/4, and 5/S.
The Cellgel procedure was used to treat L1/2, L2/3, L3/4, L4/5, and L5/s.
L1/2, 2/3, 3/4, and 5/s was treated as a prophylactic – to prevent or protect the degeneration from worsening.
Here it can be observed that the Discogel was securely injected between the 5 vertebrae.
The intervention itself took about 45 minutes.
Since the patient felt unwell at one point during the procedure, we took several breaks in the course of the intervention in consideration of the patient’s physical condition.
After taking a break in the recovery room, the patient was able to walk home.
Treatments at our Clinic
Please refer to the following links for more information on the Cellgel method.
Written by Tadaaki Minowa, Clinic Director