Column Treatment Case Study – #22 | International Lumbago Clinic Tokyo Blog
Male in his 70s
- The patient underwent posterior fusion surgery about 15 years ago.
- In October 2022, he started experiencing severe pain extending from his left hip downward to the lower extremity.
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being minimum and 10 being maximum), the pain is at 7 in the lower back, 10 in the lower extremity, 7 in the hip, and 10 in numbness.
- Walking is possible if kept under 100 m.
- Turning over, standing up, and lifting heavy objects is very difficult. He also has difficulty in washing his face, squatting, and even sitting for long periods of time.
MRI Imaging & Diagnostic
- Disc herniation observed in L5/S.
- Previous posterior fusion surgery in L4 and L5
The Cellgel procedure was performed on L5/S.
The needle right after penetrating the disc.
Even after fusion surgery, if there is a space for the needle to enter, the Cellgel procedure remains possible.
This is an image following the injection of Discogel into the intervertebral disc.
The treatment itself took about 10 minutes.
After the treatment, the patient took time to recuperate in the recovery room and was able to walk home.
Treatments at our Clinic
Please refer to the following links for more information on the Cellgel method.
Written by Tadaaki Minowa, Clinic Director