Column Treatment Case Study – #4 | International Lumbago Clinic Tokyo Blog
Male in his 50s
- Patient was hospitalized 30 years ago for a herniated disc.
- Since July of this year, he has been experiencing pain in his left buttock.
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the least and 10 being the greatest), the pain is at 7 in the lower back, 10 in the buttocks, and 10 in the lower extremities, with numbness at 9.
- Turning in bed and lifting heavy objects are very difficult. He has some difficulty in washing his face, standing up, squatting, and sitting for long periods of time.
MRI Imaging & Diagnostic
- Herniated discs can be seen at L4/5 and L5/S.
- On examination, tenderness was observed on the right side of L4/5.
The Cellgel procedure was performed in L4/5 and L5/S.
Dr. Minowa, our clinic director, performed the procedure.
The L5/S disc was approached from the left and the 4/5 from the right where the tenderness was present.
Although there are exceptions, the approach is usually made from the side with the tenderness.
Discogel was securely injected in both L4/5 and L5/S.
After the surgery, the patient had some rest in the recovery room and was able to walk home.
Treatments at our Clinic
Please refer to the following links for more information on the Cellgel method.
Written by Tadaaki Minowa, Clinic Director